The first Cheltenham Baptists met for worship in a disused malt house way back in 1690, when Cheltenham was little more than a village.
The congregation that became Cambray Baptist Church Cheltenham was formed in 1843.
They raised money to build the present building in Cambray Place, which was opened in 1855. One of the preachers at the opening services was a twenty-year-old pastor from London. He was Charles Haddon Spurgeon, and he became the most famous of all Victorian preachers.
The 150th Anniversary of the Church in 1993 was marked by a historical presentation, the Cambray Cavalcade, and by the publication of Cambray Baptist Church 1843-1993, a history written by Sylvie Pierce. Copies of this history are available from the Church Secretary.
The Rev. Tim Welch became Pastor of Cambray in September, 2008.