Qualifications for elders about their behaviour (Titus 1:6-8) and 'sound doctrine' (Titus 1:9)
1. 'An elder must be blameless' Titus 1:6 (also Titus 1:7)
2. 'The husband of but one wife' Titus 1:6
3. ' A man whose children believe and are not open to the charge of being wild and disobedient.' Titus 1:6
4. 'Hospitable' Titus 1:8
5. 'One who loves what is good' Titus 1:8
6. 'Who is self-controlled' Titus 1:8
7. 'Upright' Titus 1:8
8. 'Holy and disciplined' Titus 1:8
1. 'Not overbearing'
2. 'Not quick tempered'
3. 'Not given to drunkenness'
4. 'Not violent'
5. 'Not pursuing dishonest gain'
One more essential qualification: 'He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught'. (Titus 1:9)
Summary: 'godliness' or 'holiness'
The role of elders: 'an overseer is entrusted with God's work' (Titus 1:7); 'encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.' (Titus 1:9)
Note: To download the sermon MP3, please right click the link and then Save File.